May 15, 2011

Bike trip

We went on our first official "rugged" bike trip with our new bikes. It was a blast! Well, mostly...kinda.... The problem was I wasn't quite sure how to use this bike of mine, never being the mountain biking sort, and I wasn't sure how to use the gears. I had them set too high, and since it was all up hill, I was getting really tired really fast. Even when Devan told me to go to the lowest gears, I felt like I would be out of control if I did because my feet would be pedaling too fast. You know what I mean? So, I was super frustrated, which made Devan super frustrated, which made me more super frustrated....you see the cycle. (PUN). I kinda felt like a little girl again trying to keep up with my brother's as Devan would go ahead and then come back to try and prod me along. Anyway, after many attempts and failures, I kinda got the hang of it and was able to switch to lower gears. This made it much easier, which made me much happier, which made Devan much happier, which made me even much happier... So, it all ended up ok and we really did have a blast. We didn't make it to the top, but we weren't really sure where the top was, and I wasn't willing to spend all day trying to get there after I felt like I was ready to be done. I appeased Devan by telling him that we would come back after we built up our cycling thighs, and try again to make it all the way.

Gettin' ready...

 On our way up the canyon

Ready to go, I've got my game face on!



 At the "top"





 Successfully down the mountain!


Devan did not avoid the mud puddles on the way down the trail, as you can see from his face. Such a kid :)



No comments:

Post a Comment