May 2, 2011

New house! (Kinda...)

So, our kitchen flooded...and we were distraught...but now it is totally turning out in our favor! We filed a claim with homeowners insurance and they are basically going to replace our whole kitchen!! We are getting new cabinets, counter tops, and flooring. They are also going to replace the carpet in the living room, put new flooring in the hallway, and repaint the kitchen, living room, and hallway. Our house is not very big and with all the work they are putting into it, they are basically remodeling 1/2 our house! With no cost to us!! We may put in a little of our own money if we want to upgrade some things, but it will be minimal compared to what it would be if we were doing this all ourselves. We are also thinking about putting some  money to have them redo the bathroom while they're there. So all in all, 3 of the 4 rooms will be redone! Who knew a flood could be so beneficial?! We are so excited :)

Saturday they came in and started ripping out our kitchen. They found mold, so they are literally ripping it down to the framing so they can treat the mold and build up from there. And while they are working on our house we are living in a hotel for the next 3 weeks.... what an adventure! Its all a little overwhelming, I have no idea how to choose everything for a new kitchen, etc, and have no clue how to coordinate it all. Some people have an eye for that kind of thing, I do not, and I have no experience with it. Especially to do it all in 3 weeks! But whenever I get stressed about it, Devan just reminds me that we are "winning", and boy, we really are!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the new house! I am right there with you in the "I am overwhelmed and there is just too much stimulation...." You are up to it, though!

    ReplyDelete