Sep 8, 2010

The Proposal Story...

     Our relationship was 6 months from start to marriage. I know, kind of ridiculous. But that is just how things happened and it felt right. Needless to say things moved really fast.  About 3 months into it we started talking about getting married. I really thought that after we talked about it we would think about it for a month, month and a half, and then decide. Yeah, that didn't happen. The flood gates were open and that is all we thought about or talked about. I wanted to be absolutely sure before there was any ring buying or proposal. So, a couple weeks later, after a lot of talking and praying Devan and I decided that yes, it was right for us to be together, and yes, we were getting married. We went straight to the jewelry store to get a ring. We had been looking at rings and we were pretty decided about which one we wanted. Devan and gone to look at rings right after we talked about getting married a few weeks earlier and he found one that he thought was perfect for me. When I looked at it I loved it but I wanted to shop around a bit. Ultimately though I came back to the one he had chosen for me. It really was perfect! Because my finger was so small we had to order the ring from the manufacturer rather than just getting the one in the store re-sized. We initially were told that it would take 2 months, which was wrong, thank goodness! Instead it was only supposed to take 10-14 days. (I’m telling all this because it makes the proposal story better.) So we ordered the ring and waited. I felt like the time was dragging and it would never come. We were waiting to tell people until we got the ring and he proposed, so I think that’s why it seemed to take so long. I wanted to tell the whole world! And I wanted that diamond ring on my finger. Once we hit the 10 day mark I was waiting for it. I didn’t really expect him to surprise me but I told him not to tell me when it came in so that I wouldn’t completely know when he had it. I told him this but I would ask him about it every day. “Did the ring come? Don’t tell me, but did it?” He stayed strong and never told me. He did however tell me that it got delayed and it would take longer than originally thought. So once it had been 2 weeks I was keeping really close tabs on him to see if I could figure out when he would have had a chance to go pick it up. He would need a good chunk of time to do it since the ring was in Provo and he lived in Salt Lake.  On Saturday May 15 Devan and I got together in the morning. He had asked me the night before if I wanted to go on a motorcycle ride up the canyon. I thought nothing of it because Devan always wanted to go on a motorcycle ride. As we were getting ready that morning I made him call the jeweler again, just to check on things. He made me leave the room as he made the call. I didn’t listen to what he was saying but I could hear him talking. I was really hoping to get a ring that weekend, but I knew if he didn’t have it already that wouldn’t happen. We made some breakfast and headed on our way up the the canyon. It was a nice ride for a bit, but the higher we got the colder it was and I was ready to be done after 45 minutes or so. He told me to hang on a little longer because there was a place that he wanted to show me. In the back of my mind I wondered if he was going to propose, but I really didn’t think he had the ring. I had been paying close attention and I knew of no time that he could have gone and gotten it. And he had called the jeweler that morning. Earlier, when we were driving in his car I was playing with his phone and I thought, ‘hmmm, I wonder if he really called this morning.’ I checked. He had. Also, when we were loading up he was shoving everything in his jacket pockets with no room to spare. Surely he didn’t have a ring box in there. (Somehow I didn’t think about his jeans pocket…) So, although this seemed like a good time for him to propose, I was fairly positive he did not have the ring. We continued on up the canyon and he found the turn off to the place he wanted to show me. But as we got up the road a little bit we discovered that it was completely blocked off by snow. So we turned back to the main road. At this point I was cold and ready to be done. We were close to the top, but I asked him if there was anything special at that top. He said, “well…no”, so we started back down. A few minutes later he pulled off into the ski resort Solitude. He said he wanted to walk around a bit and stretch his legs. We went and explored a bit. It was completely empty of people, since ski season was over, but it was a pretty place. We went on a bridge that was over a little creek. Devan wanted to go down by the creek and take a picture. I told him he was crazy because there was 4 feet of snow and we would fall in. I was so ready to go at this point because I was cold and I don’t like snow. He wanted to go up this path explore just a bit more. I was dragging my feet so he put me on his back and gave me a piggy back ride and set me down on a big rock. I was about a foot above him. He gave me a hug and told me that he loved me. I told him that I loved him too. And then he said”close your eyes”. I was immediately on full alert and I replied with a very adamant “Why?!” – “Just close your eyes.” – “Why, what are you doing?!” – “Lynette, close your eyes!” I finally closed my eyes and Devan pulled out the ring and said “Ok, open them.” I opened my eyes and saw him holding the open ring box with my beautiful ring in it. And then he asked, “Will you marry me?” I of course said yes! We were finally officially engaged! Turns out he had gone and gotten the ring the day before, taking an extra long lunch break. He wanted to take me to a lake that was up the canyon, but since it was blocked off from snow, and I didn't want to go to the top, he improvised and took me to the ski resort. He had the ring in his jeans pocket, I really don't know how I didn't notice. I still can't believe he was able to surprise me! That afternoon we headed to Springville and made the announcement to his family at the cafe. A couple days later we told my family at my brother's house. Good times :)

 
Right after he proposed.
I was kind of excited.
Me and my ring.
My favorite. Gotta include the motorcycle.


No comments:

Post a Comment